Tonight AJ and I were joking about how fast our trash can fills up in our kitchen. He pulls the bag out of the trash can to haul it outside to the big garbage container and as he's walking by he snips "I'll be impressed if the trash can isn't filled back up when I return."
To which I replied "Hey buddy, you're lucky I'm cooking. Stop complaining."
JUST as I said this I threw a bunch of potatoes into a fry pan full of hot oil to saute up for dinner. And the moisture in the potatoes caused a flame to shoot up about (no joke) 18 inches into the air and singed my arm. I screamed and within seconds of my scream the trusty (and in my opinion, overly sensitive) smoke detector starts deafening us. And our detectors are all wired together so that they ALL go off together in every room.
Do ya think AJ would stop to help me fan the smoke detector until it shut the hell up? Do ya think he'd stop to see if I was mortally wounded by flame? Nope. He never stopped walking, but instead on his way out the door he calmly said over his shoulder without missing a beat "Don't burn the house down."
And he proceeded to take the trash to the container located next to our garage door. When he returned he was laughing and asked me "AM I lucky you are cooking?"
AJ finished cooking dinner.
6 days ago





That's hilarious! And one of the reasons I try my best to avoid cooking with hot oil. Despite cooking ALL the time, I am still super clumsy in the kitchen. I just get in a hurry and inevitably burn my hand on the oven or knock over a glass onto the floor. Oh well! At least that broken glass doesn't actually end up IN the food. Well, ok, that happened once, but not for several years! ;P
ReplyDeleteI hope you didn't singe your eyebrows too (I've done that before). I have to agree with AJ.....man, our trash fills up quickly. And now I have bears to contend with so I'm always worried about how enticing my trash is going to be for them. That makes me feel like i have to ration what I even put in the trash.
ReplyDelete