Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Dog?

We think we have found a good dog. He is home with us, for a one week trial period where we are evaluating how well he will fit in with our family. He is an Australian shepherd from Santa Fe. He was a stray that nobody has claimed. He was all set to be euthanized when a no-kill shelter took him, quarantined him for three weeks and got his "boys" snipped. And now we are giving him a test run.

So far he seems to be an excellent dog. I am really very surprised at what a good dog he is. He needs training, and a name but he gets along well with the kids, seems to ignore the neighbors evil dogs who try to draw him into a fence fight and isn't hyper.

The only thing that needs to be determined is if he and the cats can work out their differences. He is a herding dog. Haylee in his mind clearly needs to be "worked" and herded. Haylee disagrees with the dog and when he nipped at her (another breed characteristic used to work livestock - Haylee was unharmed but PISSED) she freaking went berserk on him and ended up "working" him. She cornered him and spit on him. Not very lady-like but I will forgive her for that. So now there is a stand off. She is in our bedroom doorway and he is at my feet facing her. I hope that they work things out. We won't be able to keep him if they don't come to a middle ground by the end of the week.


3 comments:

  1. What a cutie. I hope it works out. But I understand the need to make sure there's cohesiveness with the kitties. Especially since they were your first born. A week should be enough time to make sure doggie is a welcome addition. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are dog and cats getting along on day 2? David would love to get a dog, but the cat (old, grouchy) is a sticking point. Oh, and David's wife sorta feels like she doesn't have the energy for any more mammals in the house right now... Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your posts out of order and was like, "What?? Since when do you have a dog??" And now I know... he is a cute dog, I have to say. I'm sorry you have to put up with the fights, but I have to say it's sort of amusing that the cat is kicking the dog's ass.

    ReplyDelete

KristinJ. Powered by Blogger.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers