Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Good and The Bad - and possibly ugly too

First the good:

Nick is starting to master the silverware thing. Spoons only work with "sticky" foods like ice cream, oatmeal and yogurts. Forks are still a challenge because some foods need to be stabbed just right or else it won't work. But he is getting better and better.


The other good:

Nick sleeps. Finally.


The bad:

Lucas split his chin open this morning and might benefit from stitches. The gash is pretty deep and about ¾ inch long. It stopped bleeding but needs to be held closed because it is gaping open. Yuck. But here is the thing. I really don't want to take him to the Dr. so that they can wrap him in a sheet and stab him in the face with needles and then stitch him up. So. Mommy and Daddy tapped it closed with a butterfly (bandaid?) sticky thing. You know what I'm talking about. The butterfly things that close up minor gashes so you don't get stitches. Lucas was just fine about five minutes after the incident so really the stitches would be for cosmetic purposes only as far as we could tell. If we wanted to avoid a nasty scar we'd get the stitches, but I want to avoid trying to juggle Nick while trying to comfort Lucas who the Doctors would be torturing with evil needles . . . butterfly closure it is. Nightmare at the Emergency Department avoided. The cut is on the bottom of his chin so hopefully the scar won't be too visible or ugly. But scars are cool right?

4 comments:

  1. He will be fine can't wait to see it without the bandage. It is on the opposite side of EJ's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sucks deciding if you should make him suffer now in order to reduce the size of a scar, or make him live with a scar he may hate or be teased about. I hate these parenting decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang. I like to play the "What would I do?" game. I'm going to be all sexist and say that I would take a girl in for stitches in her chin, but would risk a cool scar on a boy. Though he might someday hate having to shave around it. Hmmm. Tough one. Speaking of tough, Lucas looks like he's being totally tough about his wound. Watch Nick with the fork, or he'll have a wound to match!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are right Amy ER. I would have probably handled it differently if Lucas were a female. Poor girls. Scars just aren't as socially acceptable on a girl's chin as they are on a boy's.

    ReplyDelete

KristinJ. Powered by Blogger.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers