Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Smooth closing on your house?

Let me just lay it out in a factual format instead of some long ass-hard-to-read-OMG-Kristin-please-learn-to-properly-punctuate post.

today we signed the paperwork for closing on the house but first . . .
  • we met the realtor at the property to do a final walk through
  • we immediately upon entering smelled gas
  • found the pilot light on the stove extinguished - shut off gas to stove.
  • drive to title company to sign 2" high stack of papers
  • realtor calls as we enter parking lot and says that the title company has switched offices without notifying anyone and gives us new directions
  • we arrive at new location only to learn that indeed the title company was at the original location
  • call title company and apologize for being late and explain that we will be there shortly
  • arrive at title company - finally
  • we sit down and literally 3 minutes later we learn that there is a problem with the paperwork. A big problem
  • no escrow account was established for taxes and insurance . . .despite a good faith estimate that factored in an escrow account. The HUD statement did not have one.
  • not wanting balloon payments at the end of the year for taxes (HELLOOO!! CHRISTMAS time and ALLLLL , why would I want a couple thousand dollars due on my house at that time???)
  • Multiple tense/frantic calls to loan writers and mortgage brokers and title brokers and realtors, assistants and lenders later (and me thinking: "WHY IS SHE(mortgage broker) AT THE DENTIST WHEN I NEED HER NOW??) . . . we decide that we will set up an escrow account separately on Monday.
  • Whew. . . we keep signing papers
  • Mortgage broker calls me (she had been on the other phone with the title lady 2 seconds ago) and is somewhat upset because we didn't "specify" that we wanted an escrow account and "most people don't want one" but says that we will get one set up on Monday, which the title lady had already relayed for me.
  • Okaaaayyyy. My fault?? Sorry???? I thought it was STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE TO SET UP A FREAKING ESCROW ACCOUNT????? ESPECIALLY SINCE THE GOOD FAITH ESTIMATE ALREADY SAID ONE WOULD BE ESTABLISHED. . . YOU KNOW THE GOOD FAITH ESTIMATE THAT YOU SENT TO ME!!!!
Sorry about all the yelling. Just blowing off some steam. It is stressful enough plunking down a huge chunk of your wealth in a cashiers check to some stranger at a title company after you discover a gas leak in the house that very day. But then with all the other drama . . .I'm fried.

4 comments:

  1. Wow. Are you sure you don't live in Carlsbad still?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would think so. But no. These folks are scattered all over the nation and quite honestly were supposed to be "the best". And they are very good but AJ and I just expect there to be some sort of clusterfuck associated with our lives at least once a month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, congrats anyways on being homewoners again! Does your new house come complete with wacky new neighbors?

    Glad you got the escrow thing all worked out. I still don't have any clue what escrow is, I guess it's one of those things you don't need to know until you buy a house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't completely get the escrow thing either. One day when I don't have insomnia from stress I will look it up.

    Wacky neighbors. . . yes. I think one of them stole our garbage can. There one night and gone the next morning. And they all seem to smoke. And they all (like 5 houses on the court) look like rednecks with big gas guzzling monster trucks and little obnoxious children with toy monster trucks. One of their dogs (a little cattle dog) keeps jumping our fence and walking into our house to say hi. Really sweet dog but I'm not used to having a third pet around. Poor dog is bored though.

    I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete

KristinJ. Powered by Blogger.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers