When I lived so close to Mt Shasta in High School, I kind of took the amazing views for granted. On Monday I took a brief trip back to Klamath Falls, Or and realized how beautiful the area really is. I don't ever want to live there again but it was really nice to visit and see all the beauty.
So in the last two weeks I have either been terribly sick, in horrible balled-up-on-the-floor pain, or hopped up on medications. I went on a quick trip to Oregon to be with my Mom for her breast cancer surgery. The good things about the trip were the views, and the ability to spend time with my family. Stella and I drove up from Sacramento and it was the first time in a long time that we have spent time together just the two of us. I really enjoyed seeing her and talking uninterrupted. Plus it was nice to see my parents with my own eyes and know how they were doing, instead of trying to figure it all out over the phone.
Mom's surgery went well and she was up and about the next day even though we kept yelling at her to take it easy and to freakin' sit DOWN. Stella made us all her "famous lettuce wraps" which were really good. My vicadin mysteriously disappeared, and I'm pretty convinced someone stole it out of my purse at one of the airports on my way to Klamath. But Motrin worked well enough so I didn't miss it too badly. But two days out of surgery a little vicadin after a 15 hour travel day would have been nice. I'm just sayin' . I hope the bastard that took it from me sees this and feels guilty. . . highly probable.
The flight back into Albuquerque was a very turbulent one. Winds were high so the plane bounced around quite a bit. I see why they want you to wear seat belts now, because they were literally holding me into the seat. The overhead bins were springing open every now and then which CAN'T be good. Now that people have to pay to check baggage they are cramming everything into the overhead bins in large and heavy bags that would hurt if they fell on a head. And I didn't know this but the sides of the plane can flex in and out which I think was making a lot of people upset. When you see the entire plane contracting and moving it is unnerving. So people were screaming and grabbing onto each other with each large bump. On the small bumps there was a chorus of gasps and lots of clenched white knuckles. I was less excited about the whole thing because . . . really, what was my anxiety going to solve? I kind of figured that if we were going to die then we were going to die. Freaking out about it before hand wouldn't really solve anything. The lady next to me was so annoying with her screaming that I distracted her with conversation - which surprisingly worked!!!
Lesson of the story: I'm a God-damned ROCK in the face of danger. I'm the next Charlie's Angel, people. Nothing rattles me. ;-)





You are certainly a trooper. I'm glad you were able to be with your family---just sorry it was under these circumstances. Thinking about you and your Mom.
ReplyDeletei hate scary plane flights. i dont really like flying much to begin with. The last time i went to Chicago the flight attendants were all staring out the back window THE WHOLE FLIGHT (when they weren't serving beverages) and I heard them saying "that shouldn't be there, that looks wrong" Then they went and snagged a guy out of the cockpit to come back and look at whatever IT was that was so weird. I knew all this because I was sitting in the very back of the plane.
ReplyDeleteIt would be nice to have uninterrupted sister time, it's been a while since that's been a possibility.
Glad that you are back home with your men, big and little, and I hope your mom is doing well.
I had no idea you grew up in K Falls. I lived there for a year, town is okay but one thing I loved is that you could drive 30 minutes in most directions and be at awesome hiking trails. I love the cascades!
ReplyDelete