Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I think it finally worked

I think the sleep situation with Nick may finally be working. I mean we have seen signs of progress before now but suddenly last night things clicked. The doctor said it would take 3 to 5 nights of crying HELL before it worked and tonight is night five. She said we would have to commit to the crying plan and not cave in (which we always had done because he broke our hearts) and suffer for a maximum of 5 nights. It took Nick four nights. This might mean that my little angel is "advanced" and smarter than the rest of the "average" babies. Ok. I was so just kidding there.

WE GOT SLEEP!!! About 5 hours of relatively uninterrupted sleep. I woke up feeling so refreshed and happy and I was a much better Mommy because I could actually think.

Tonight it was amazing, I fed Nick, put him in the bath and then dressed him. We read a book and I laid him in the crib. He rolled onto his side and I left the room. HE NEVER FUSSED or CRIED or WHINED . . . NOTHING!!!!! I know I am yelling but I am amazed. I really believed I would live with bedtime drama my whole life. He just calmly went to sleep all by himself which allowed me to clean up after dinner. I just saved about 45 minutes to an hour of rocking, or patting or breastfeeding. Not that I don't enjoy those things but it seemed like the bedtime rituals were getting more and more elaborate and extreme. He needed a whole slew of criteria met before he could get to sleep . . . but now he just rolled over and went to sleep.

And it was absolute and complete hell getting to this point. But it was soooooo worth it. Nick took 2 naps today, each 1.5 hours. And that is exactly what he should be doing. He woke up happy and rested and was pleasant to be around because . . . . (wait for it). . . . the kid got some freakin' sleep for once!!

Whew. On to the next drama which I am certain is just around the corner. Isn't that how this parenting thing is? One drama after another?

1 comment:

KristinJ. Powered by Blogger.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers