Let's see. Lucas is saying more and more words. He is now saying a new word or two every day which is exciting. This must be the "language explosion" the speech people talked about most 18-20 month olds going through. I know Lucas is almost 28 months old but I am just happy that it is finally here. He is also being such a trooper with this move and all the chaos. The only thing is that he refuses to feed himself anymore. Lucas sees me feeding Nick and refuses to pick his silverware up and feed himself. He wants me to feed him like I feed Nick. And I know that some of you would say that he will starve until he starts feeding himself again - I know that is what I would have said pre-children. But since it is my own kid I have that whole maternal thing kicking in that says " Lucas is still just a baby and if he wants to be babied than do it". So that is what I do. I feed him too. So sue me. It's not like he's going to be 15 years old and still asking me to feed him. I have to pick my battles.

And then there is my little Nick who just had Stew for the first time last night - which he LOVED. The kid put down an entire bowl of it. . . he ate more than Lucas. I guess the bland old baby food is nothing compared to homemade stew. Which brings me to one of my new favorite things. . .(if Oprah can recommend favorite things than so can I)
This little blender attachment is the bestest in the whole wide world. It is small so that you can blend small portions, like say baby food, and the food isn't lost down by the blades. And when you can't finish everything there is a little lid to store food with. Yeah. That's right. This should be mandatory baby equipment. That stew didn't have a chance in this little sucker. Now Nick is eating what we eat and he is so much happier at meal times. He is one of these food obsessed babies (unlike Lucas who was content to watch others eat while he played with his teether) who insists . . .INSISTS on eating what and while you are eating. Food is a really big deal to Nick.
And also tonight was the night we have begun our form of sleep training for Nick. He is a stubborn child. But the kid really needs to learn to put himself to sleep. It just isn't fair for us to not teach him this skill, no matter how badly it breaks my heart to hear him cry. I tried the Ferber thing which worked on Lucas but Nick freaked out and kept throwing up. So we are trying a gentler method where I sit by the crib reassuring him while he screams himself to sleep. Really - I have read quite a few books on this subject in a desperate attempt to find a method that is truly a "no-cry" method and unless you have a baby with a halo and wings you are S.O.L. ladies. There isn't a genuine "no-cry" method. It's a myth. A MYTH!! They are going to cry because it is new and unfamiliar and they don't know what to do to put themselves to sleep. So really it is your job to be supportive while they learn to do it themselves. I guess you just have to choose which variation of the sleep methods work best for your kid and your situation. I really hope that this one works because I am such a weenie when it comes to my kids crying.










No comments:
Post a Comment