Since camping is "our thing" I don't consider this wasteful or unnecessary spending. This will make it easier for us to introduce the boys to our passion: the outdoors. I don't really intend on "camping" in locations with hookups. It is kind of cheating to call sleeping in an RV/trailer "camping" to begin with. When the kids are older we will introduce them to backpacking which is a whole new level of awesomeness.
Meteor Crater. I had never been here before but we splurged and spent the $15 per adult to go see it. And it was worth it. The visitor center was really well done and good for all ages. We weren't able to do the rim walk but I would like to return to do it when the boys are older and less prone to jumping off a cliff.
Case in point: Note that Nick's feet are not on the ground? Yes, he was attempting to jump the fence.
And the lack of railing at this location made me nervous. Especially since there is a lizard sitting on the edge of the path (you may see it in the picture) that Nick was intrigued with. I kept a firm hold of the hood on his sweatshirt because he refuses to hold hands. I forgot his leash at home. . . .
And then there was the case of Nick laying on his belly trying to squeeze under this railing. This is an overlook that is a hanging platform over the cliff. There is about a 50 foot drop under that railing, and you wouldn't land on marshmallows. No you would land on jagged rock outcrops.
This is the look he gave me when I reprimanded him for attempting to get under the railing. Needless to say he was never out of my reach. I am hoping that he will soon learn caution and/or some measure of fear.
Lucas on the other hand preferred to look at the drop from between the slats in the decking.
And he didn't try to jump through the railings. We still kept a hold of his hand though.
Here he is after he shoved Nick off of the benches. We had a great time at the crater despite Nick's repeated attempts to jump. The kids got out of the car and ran around which was really nice. Plus they got to see the resident kitty cat kill a lizard and then proudly parade around with it before eating it. Exciting stuff for little boys. AND they got to push every single button on the interactive displays in the visitor center - which was a really big deal. Buttons were everywhere!!!





It's gorgeous, I'm so jealous!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I'm super jealous that you get a full summer with your hubby!! You must be so excited for all the family time.
ReplyDeleteYou are going to have so much fun this summer!
ReplyDeleteSweeeeeet. I want to going camping with you guys!!!!!!!! Just time for summer too. Perfect.
ReplyDelete