Every once in a while, I decide to freak out about something that is really not worth freaking out about. This is one of those times. Now let me qualify my first sentence by saying that I do have a very good reason to be concerned and to take action, but I shouldn't be freaking out like I am.
I saw this article on CNN today. My city is NUMBER 8. We are 7 spots down from the highest level tested in this study.
AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Wait. Deep breaths. No not working.
AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
Ok. My knee jerk reaction is OF COURSE to run out and get a multi-million dollar whole neighborhood reverse osmosis with ion and carbon blabitty blabbittty blahhh blahhhhhh thingimigigga. And throw another one in so that the school will have its own dedicated reverse osmosis with ion and carbon blabitty blabbittty blabbitu thinganimigigga - because Lucas will be there next year and all that jazz.
I really, REALLY should have paid more attention in Chemistry. ALL four years of chemistry I spent in college have left my brain and have been replaced with correct Tylenol dosage rates based on weight for small children.
Money well spent. Thanks Mom and Dad for sending me to college for FOUR years so that I can use my education to NOT overdose your grandchildren. Oh- our drinking water - you ask? Yeah, um, well you see Mom and Dad, I figure the city and those folks take care of that.
Wha???? Wha tchu talkin' bout - they don't test for a major and widely known carcinogen (thank you Erin Brockovich for being a badass)???
Gastrointestinal Tumors? Naaaahhhhh. I don't believe it. Not in America. Right? Right?
Hmmm. This ain't cool people. Not cool at all.
http://www.ewg.org/tap-water/getawaterfilter This is the site I've been checking out to learn about water filters.
DID YOU KNOW that Brita filters don't take nearly as much out of your water as a PUR filter?
Verwwwy Interwesting.
Oh and one more thing:
Dear EPA,
Please pull your head out of your antiquated ass and update the water quality standards so that the citizens that pay your salary will be better protected and won't have panic attacks over hexavalent chromium. If you were doing your job hexavalent chromium would not be in my vocabulary.
-Kristin
6 days ago





SO relieved to know I am not the only one panicing over this. I read the article and felt instantly terrified. #8?!?!?! Holy freaking cow!!!!
ReplyDeleteA city nearby ours is on the list as well... ugh. I always drink tap water but I might have to rethink that.
ReplyDelete