I have created this unlivable sleep situation with Nick and am having a hell of a time getting him out of it. The kid can't go to sleep without me and can't stay asleep without me and I don't have the ability to stick with the cry-it-out method. We successfully did the cry it out with Lucas and it worked because Lucas responded to it quickly and I wasn't forced to endure hours of my infant crying. But Nick is more stubborn and when we tried the cry it out with him he SCREAMED for an hour (we went in to comfort him frequently like Dr. Ferber said to do in his book) and still showed no signs of sleep even though we initially laid him down exhausted. We've tried this several times and I always end up cuddling him after what feels like an endless bout of infant hysteria. My mommy nerves can't handle my baby crying like that. They just can't . . . now I'm crying just thinking about it.
So tomorrow I am going to the book store to buy yet another sleep book for babies. I have the Ferber one and like I said it worked great on Lucas. But I really need to start getting some sleep. I think 6 months of 2-3 hour stretches of sleep is enough - I'm ready for 4-5 hour stretches or *gasp* maybe even 6!!!
Lucas has his sonogram for his renal system on Friday. Hopefully they don't find any reason for the Urinary Tract Infection and conclude that it was a freak thing and there isn't an anatomical reason. Nick goes to the pediatric urologist in March (that is as early as they can see him) to determine if his hypospadias (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hypospadias/DS00884) will need surgery. Oh - didn't I mention that? Yeah well we just noticed that the darned thing was in the wrong place about 2 months ago. It isn't horribly obvious but now that he is older and - ahem - things are larger, we can tell that he needs to be evaluated. By the way if you type in hypospadias into wiki you get a nice uncomfortably large picture of one. I was going to post the link but decided it was too icky. Ha ha. You can't help yourself, you are going to do it aren't you?
Tootles.
4 days ago





Hey Kristin,
ReplyDeleteSorry about the bad sleep situation. I got a book at my shower called "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Marc Weissbluth. I haven't turned to it yet, but the woman who gave it to me swore by it as the greatest thing ever. Plus it's got a forward by Cindy Crawford, and if she was able to stay youthful and well-rested looking then I guess it must be good right? Oh wait, that was the nanny and personal trainer, nevermind.;)
I hope your boys' urinary apparati both internal and external all turn out alright. That was a naughty picture by the way. Yes, I had to check it out.
Ahhh, you made me look at it!
ReplyDelete