AJ let me sleep in despite him being up all damn night with Nick who is going through another bad sleeping spell. Then I got up and immediately started cleaning up the HUGE mess of toys in the living room. There were toys everywhere. AJ also helped with that - he is so great. Then off he goes to work and I continued trying to declutter my kitchen counters, and boy oh boy were they baaaaaddddd. 8:45am Lucas's preschool teacher arrived for the scheduled home visit. Lucas starts preschool (speech/articulation program) next Friday and she comes to each kid's house to get to know them. She started explaining the basics of school to me like:
"Have him bring a backpack with no snacks, we provide the snacks. Include a change of clothes in case there is an accident. No one has allergies in the class so if he wants to celebrate his birthday we can do cupcakes or whatever else you would like to bring. Every Friday is show and tell. Every Tuesday he will have 15 minutes of homework. The school bus goes door to door so if he wants to ride the bus there is that option . . . ."
I interrupted her here and said that I would be driving him to and picking him up from school so they didn't have to worry about that. I said that if Lucas wanted to ride the bus I'd consider it. Then she went on to explain the internet policy and the campus check in policy (parents must have badges to be on the premises for security) the video surveillance and the option of volunteering in the classroom if only she were able to find something for the parents to do.
I was a little dazed by everything when she left. She was incredibly nice and very caring. I am not worried at all about leaving Lucas in her care twice a week. And that is a good thing because he desperately needs help with his speech. At this point in his life kids are starting to notice when he pronounces DOG as GOG. So much of what he says is barely understandable. But you guys. . . he is turning THREE on Saturday and I am really not ready for all the school related discussions. He is still a baby to me. But he isn't yet three and I'm talking about internet policies, and components of a typical snack, school bus routes, classroom volunteers and . . . backpacks with folders full of homework.
I'm totally crying right now. This is just too soon.
She left the house and we said goodbye and as I close the door Lucas turned to me and said, "Me ride school bus. School buses are fun."
Uh.
Did you hear that? That was the sound of my heart breaking. But instead of bursting into tears like I wanted to do, I said:
"You are right. School buses are lots of fun. If you want to ride the bus you can. You are going to really like Miss Cheryll's school!"
And then on our way to the store to acquire a little boy backpack I drove away and was gone for 2.5 hours and left the garage door (the big one) wide open. Nice. Thankfully we live in a decent area and our garage-o-crap was intact when we returned.
6 days ago





He is so capable. You just need to let him go. He will be fine - and so will you. Control those tears and put the little boy (NOT baby) on the bus.
ReplyDeleteYou need muster up a little bit of compassion for me, dear sister.
ReplyDeleteNope. I have compassion for the smothered boy. LET GO, MOM.
ReplyDeleteShouldn't you be researching our upcoming trip?
ReplyDeleteAnd he is sooo not smothered. I will remember this when you have kids. You won't be as freely letting go as you think.
My heart is breaking for you...Can you hear my compassion :P?
ReplyDeleteI still remember holding him the day you brought him home from the hospital. That is the Lucas I still think of.
I can't help but picture him wearing his cute little back pack waving to you as he excitingly hops on the bus either.
Just wait until you have to send him off to college!
Thank you Amy.
ReplyDeleteThe first few times you let him ride the bus will be hard. After that you will enjoy not having to get Nick up if he's sleeping and it gives you a lot more time.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry :( I would be sad too.
ReplyDeleteBut on the other hand you get to share some alone time with Nick that the second child misses out on. Maybe not much consolation, I know.