Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Salinas Pueblo Missions NHS

Let me start by saying that I am really glad we went and we all had a great time. The housing we stayed in was really very nice. They had modern furniture (*gasp*) that was not only comfortable but clean. And the scenery was really amazing. I took a grand total of FIVE pictures. Below you will see all five pictures. I really should have taken more but damn it I don't have enough hands to carry Nick, hold onto the dog leash, push Lucas in the stroller AND take pictures. Plus every time I'd stop to look at something Nick would start kicking me (like he was spurring a freakin' rodeo bull or something!) and so I didn't stop much. We stayed in housing at Gran Quivira which is south of Mountainair, NM.

I didn't fully realize how remote this place is before I got there. They are in the middle of nowhere. There isn't cell phone coverage, or reliable electricity (I have one friend who is even more remote than this with a small child and I have a whole new respect for her now). We forgot ketchup for our hot dogs and a trip into "town" (I use the word town loosely because it is really a bunch of buildings with a small convenience store) would have taken over an hour - just for ketchup. I would love to live out there but not with small children. It reminded me a lot of eastern Oregon.

Oh - I saw a teeny tiny horny toad and told the interp ranger there about the little dude. He got really excited and said that there were people who worked at the park that hadn't seen a horny toad in over a decade. I had no idea they were rare up there. I used to see them all the time in the southern part of the state.

There is far more to the park than I have shown you in pictures. There are many MANY old ruins and buildings that are incredible. They do a great job of maintaining these areas especially considering that the ruins are subjected to a decent freeze/thaw cycle each winter. I had a little fun with Picasa photo editor too.





2 comments:

  1. Looks like the wild, remote West with a capital W. Forget the stroller, you need a pony and a cradleboard to fit into that scenery! (I think it's the sepia tones that inspired these comments.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Iffy was at FLETC my brother came out to visit me at GUMO, he flew out of ABQ, and we took a road trip up there, stopped off at Salinas, I've got the magnet on my fridge to prove it!
    We ate at some pizza place in Mountainair, and I got some crappy little statue of something or other at the general store in Mountainair and sent it to Iffy as a joke.
    Yes it is remote there for sure. It helps alot that Big Bend has a convenience store, especially with all the milk that gets drank (drunk?) around here lately. I was just thinking the other day as I was in Alpine buying three gallons, what if we were at GUMO and I we ran out?I'd have to drive all the way to White's City just for milk. That would suck.

    Glad you had a good time and good accomadations, now you just have to grow some more arms to take more pics.

    ReplyDelete

KristinJ. Powered by Blogger.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers