Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Towels, Surgery and Smiles

Lucas always looks so sad and serious in pictures. It is a struggle to get him to smile for the camera, even though he smiles plenty when the camera is put away. So here are some pictures of me trying to get a smile out of Mr. Lucas.


SUCCESS!!!!


Little Olivia was spayed yesterday (Tuesday). I think her face says it all. Poor baby. I kept her in the crate so that the kids wouldn't bother her, and so that she stayed still. Not that I had to convince her to stay still. I ended up carrying her to bed because she just didn't feel like walking. Can you believe that vets perform MAJOR abdominal surgery on pets (removal of ovaries, and uterus) and don't prescribe pain meds. That would not fly with Homo sapiens, but yet we make our pets endure post-op without meds. Barbaric. We asked for drugs and they told us "No, it isn't needed". I feel like I am dealing with idiots that still believe that animals feel pain differently and less intensely than humans.


Nick is learning to walk around with a towel over him after he takes a bath. Up until now he has always tripped on the towel and so we have carried him. But in the spirit of equality, Nick has made major efforts to master this skill. And you can see the pride in his expression that he is finally just like his brother in yet another way!



Normally I pride myself in making good spaghetti sauce from scratch. Jarred sauce is the source of gasps and wincing in my house. But the other night I was taken off guard by how quickly dinner hour approached and needed a quick meal. So out comes my emergency jar of sauce. I just couldn't figure out what to do to it to make it palatable so I added some zucchini and crookneck to the sauce and heated everything up. It was REALLY good. Next time I make sauce from scratch I'm going to stick some fresh veggies in! SO GOOD.

4 comments:

  1. Lucas looks so grown uo in those pictures. Smile or not.
    Poor little baby dog. I got both our dogs done the same day. Amy helped me pick them up at the Carlsbad vet. It was probably good to do them at the same time so they both felt like crap and left each other alone.
    And Nick is SO cute in the towel pictures. Sara has taken to putting things (towels,shirts, etc.)OVER her head and face and walking around even though she can't see where she is going. Silly baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to fight for equality Nick. Power to the people!!!

    Poor Olivia. And it is CRAZY they wouldn't give her drugs.

    Joanne~I remember picking up Elsie and Oscar with you. That was back when none of us had two legged children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my . . . remember we could sit around have BBQ's and drink all night at your house Amy? We didn't have to worry about putting little people to sleep and keeping them there? Ahhhhh. I miss that.

    Today at playgroup I heard a mom drop this phrase: "Oh good gracious!"

    What has happened to my life that I hang out with sober people that say things like that????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my stars! That is a silly thing to say!

    ReplyDelete

KristinJ. Powered by Blogger.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers