I'm trying and trying but I just can't seem to find a good fit for playgroups up here in our new neighborhood. Today I went to meet my new group and the mom's weren't attempting to include me in the conversations, and were talking about people and events that I had no knowledge of.
And their kids. . . Oh my GOD, their kids were crazy little monsters. Alright - not all of the kids were monsters but when you see a three year old try to smash an infant's (1.5 mos old) head with a toy truck while his mother holds the baby - that is what I would classify as a monster. This woman was helping the infant's mother by holding the child so the new mommy could eat her lunch, and when the three year old saw HIS mommy holding a strange baby he freaking lost it and came at the baby with an enormous truck - thankfully he was prevented from harming the baby. When I saw this my mouth fell open.
And Lucas was shoved off of the play equipment in their backyard because he wasn't aggressive enough to fight his way to the top like all the older kids did. So he made himself happy by playing with a toy shovel and rake in the corner of the yard. Nick was bullied too by older, unsupervised brats. I couldn't socialize with the moms because I was chasing my kids around to make sure they weren't being attacked. It was weird. I am going to attend a few more meetings because only a small portion of the mom's were in attendance today. Hopefully some of the other mom's will have different parenting approaches or will be more welcoming.
I'll try to post pictures soon.
4 days ago





Yikes. Is there more than one play group in the area? Can you go further afield for a better fit? (I'm driving 20-45 minutes for most of ours). Or maybe start your own with some guidelines like "No brats!" Good luck.
ReplyDeleteYes there are several groups that I am going to try. This one may not be all that bad. I'm hoping that some of the mom's I haven't yet met will be willing to supervise their children more. It is also possible that I am overly protective still. Maybe I should just lighten up and let the kids figure it out.
ReplyDeleteThis whole playgroup thing is a great idea if everyone in the group has similar chemistry. My last group was great. I may just be spoiled from that one.
Sorry thigs aren't working out for you. It's kind of how I feel everytime I go to a social function here. I don't really know anyone because I don't work here, and then I spend most of the night chasing Sara around anyways. I hate trying to get to know people over NPS potluck chit-chat.
ReplyDeleteI hope you find some good people to hang out with.
Right back at ya. It is so frustrating trying to re-establish a life after relocating. I feel like my only friends are the ones I email or facebook or blog with. It sucks not having a face to face person sometimes.
ReplyDeleteIt is hard to meet new friends in a new place, especially when not working outside the house. I'm developing friendships with some of the playgroup women, but almost the only thing we have in common is small children. The NPS thing is alien to them. Cheers, fellow aliens!
ReplyDeleteMy former college roommate, who has 2 kids, also had problems with her playgroup, but for the opposite reasons. Apparently the parents were totally overprotective and germophobes, and were forever chasing their kids around to make sure that they didn't get dirty or anything. So, I guess it could go either way!
ReplyDeleteIn relation to Amy's comment, it is weird being in a place where most people have no concept of the park service. They have absolutely no grasp of the fact that there are people living out in remote areas. I try to explain how Carlsbad was to them, and they just don't get it. I think they just believe that such places don't really exist in this country.
It is tough trying to meet people. I'm in the process of getting together with a playgroup in my area I found on craigslist. We're in the process of emailing eachother to see if we click. I feel like I'm going through a dating service. I hope she doesn't expect me to put out on the first date. I'm not that kind of girl.
ReplyDelete