Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Trees Trees

I need trees. I have a totally barren backyard that has sand dunes. Not kidding - dunes, and they move just like at the beach. So I have recently purchased two "aristocrat" pear trees and I think I'm going to hunt down an Osage orange tree or two. I might go for a couple more trees for a total of six or seven. Maybe an ash tree? Or should I go for a Locust or Mulberry? I want something that does well in drought conditions, poor soil and full sun. Also on my wish list is a tree that grows quickly. I would like an evergreen but they don't grow very fast. . . or do they? See? I have a lot more research to do. I just don't have time to sit and do research. What I really need is someone to come and tell me what to do. I follow direction well when sufficiently motivated.

Once I get the trees in I will move on to shrubs and lower smaller plants. AJ thinks I should draw out a "master plan" for the yard and I think he is over thinking this whole thing. It is much more fun to fly by the seat of your pants. Kind of like when thought I'd surprise AJ by solving our stove issue and I bought the wrong color of stove : )

Lucas has his evaluation with the school district tomorrow for continued speech assistance. I have a bunch of paperwork to gather so I will let you know how it goes. I don't even know where to go in the school and I would do a scouting trip but the President (yes THE President) is giving a talk there today and the traffic is less than desirable so I will just have to just show up and hope we find it. School floorplans are always so confusing to me.

Part of the backyard.


More of the backyard


My two little trees.


Lucas and Nick enjoying Chocolate Milk in Mommy's bed after nap time.


Lucas crashed for nap time while reading his book on trucks.


Me trying to keep Nick happy by playing with the camera. (It was time for bed and he didn't want to go)

4 comments:

  1. Gosh. And here I thought you were using a little poetic license when describing your back yard as a sand dune. That's some serious sand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. And as you can imagine it is SO HOT!! So I need very heat tolerant plants. I just picked up an Ash tree and some lilacs. Oh and a red maple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I see you already have a kiddie pool, you should just get some beach chairs and your backyard would be complete! Have you thought about zero-scaping, with rocks and cacti and things? That would look pretty cool, and you wouldn't really have to water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have thought about xeriscaping but that doesn't shade the house or make the backyard anymore livable. So I am instead going to plant vegetation that won't require a lot of water but will shade the house and offer more privacy to the backyard. Plus we will be able to actually enjoy our backyard. . . if all goes right of course.

    ReplyDelete

KristinJ. Powered by Blogger.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers