Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 13, 2009

NM State Fair 2009

We went to the fair today. I forgot how expensive the fair can be. But it was still fun, the kids had a blast looking at all the animals and they went to the petting zoo and Lucas got to ride his first "horse" (really a pony ride) and he was soooooo excited! You can't tell from his pictures because he REFUSED to smile or look happy the entire time he was on the stinkin' pony. But he was just soaking it in and was so proud of himself. It was neat to see him be that excited about something. Nick loved the petting zoo. He got such a kick out of the animals tongues licking his hands. Too bad Nick was too young to ride the pony. But hey. . . it saved us $7!! We saw a pig talent show which was pretty cool and then we saw a dog jumping competition. It is where the dogs jump into a big pool of water after a fake duck. They are judged based on how far out from the dock they land - or in this case whether or not they get into the water at all. Some of the dogs were too nervous to jump. But their owners were pretty cool about it, they didn't try to force the dogs which was nice.

I got a larger than expected thrill from seeing all of the award winning quilts. They were amazing. It has inspired me to try quilting. Some other day though. In the distant future. Once I find the time to actually fold my laundry - then I will try quilting. I have no concept of how long it would take to finish one of those quilts, but the HAND quilted ones . . . were truly incredible. Since I already crochet I think the afghans are more within my reach. I don't think I will be able to crochet anytime soon though because 1) the kids will use the hook as a weapon and 2) they will find my in-progress afghan and unravel it. And forget about hiding it from them. There is no such thing as a safe hiding place in my house - they find everything. Thank God we have a gun safe. Anyway, I didn't get to spend much time admiring the artsy fartsy stuff because the kids were pretty pooped out by the time we found the quilts and they were in full meltdown mode.










5 comments:

  1. #1 a PIG TALENT SHOW????? that is awesome.

    #2 you could get a second gun safe and use it for afghans

    #3 it seems that the "dog moms" who don't force the dog to jump are better behaved than the pageant moms who claim they only do it because the kid likes it, but then drag the screaming crying 2 year old on stage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pig talent show was cool. Those little suckers are really smart.

    Not a bad idea about the afghan safe - although slightly crazy.

    I agree. Those pagent show mommas are really nutty people. They have false teeth made for their kids that resemble adult teeth!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eat any deep fried butter?

    I love the quilts, too. Seems to me the finest stitching, pinkest pig, and biggest cabbage sorta hearkens back to the original concept of a fair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, a pig talent show is cool... but I'm having a hard time imagining what sort of talents the pigs have. Do they crochet afghans?

    Isn't it great living in civilization again?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Fair is in the air. We went to the fair too. Although, it sounds like your STATE fair was much cooler then our little county fair. It looks like a fun time had by all.

    ReplyDelete

KristinJ. Powered by Blogger.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers