Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

That . . . sound

There is a sound that babies and kids can make that will cause a Mommy freeze in her tracks and move so fast. . . lightening fast. I first heard the sound when my nephew EJ was just a little guy and we were eating lunch at a restaurant with AJ's sister and EJ. Christina was returning from the buffet with a plate and when she was about 10 feet away EJ, who was seated in the booth across from AJ and I, made that sound. Something was in his throat. I'll never forget because AJ and I never had a chance to move - not a chance. Because Christina was by EJ's side so fast and gave him a swift blow to his back - so fast, way before AJ or I could process what had just happened. And I remember thinking that she was really in tune with her kid to hear just one little tiny sound and immediately identify that sound and REACT to that tiny sound waaaaaayyyyy before anyone else could.

I've heard that sound once with Lucas. And now I've heard it from Nick. Nick had a Tablespoon that he removed from the dishwasher while I was unloading it. I didn't see him take it but I heard that sound when it was jammed into his thoat - hard. He was face down on the ground and it was holding his head off the ground. . . yeah. Scary. I moved so fast. Thankfully he is alright. He immediately took a very long nap and I kept going in and checking on him because I was worried that the trauma might cause his throat to swell up. But thankfully he is alright. And I was reminded about how fast I could move when properly motivated. : )

3 comments:

  1. I am glad Nick is ok. That sound is scary.
    When I was in chicago once visiting my sis, one of the boys made it and we were up out of our chairs SO fast. turned out to be a false alarm though.
    The desire to NOT hear that noise is why Iffy still cuts Sara's food into small microscopic particles before feeding it to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, scary indeed. Cooper is weird about wanting ALL of his food pieces to be big or he won't bother eating them. I'm talking hunks and chunks. It makes me wonder just how soon it will be before we hear that sound.

    Way to move Mama. Nick is lucky you were on it. I also can relate to Cooper walking around with utensils. Mark freaks out when Cooper does that. He also has a strict rule about not walking around with a tooth brush in hand. I guess he's right and I need to enforce it more often.

    Nick just helped me realize that. Thanks Nick!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gag me with a spoon. Considering how a baby puts everything right into the mouth, it's amazing we don't all hear that sound more often. Sooo glad we don't. And when we do, parental superpowers...engage!

    ReplyDelete

KristinJ. Powered by Blogger.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers