It seems that Lucas has developed a motor tic. It is a sudden and uncontrolled movement that is noticeable. He shakes his head and shoulders as if to shudder. And he does this pretty frequently. Sometimes 5+ times a minute. Mostly though he does it every few minutes. He can't seem to stop. Along with this tic is a cough. The doctor put him on antibiotics to see if we can clear up the cough. He is almost done with the antibiotics and the cough is more frequent than ever (7-10 times a minute sometimes). The moment he goes to sleep the cough goes away.
From what I understand motor tics can be accompanied with vocal tics - which is what I suspect the cough is - a vocal tic. It is hard to get people to understand that he isn't sick and isn't coughing his germs everywhere, but that it is a vocal tic. He had to stay home from school today because of the cough. I don't know when he will go back because tics don't normally go away for a year or more. I suppose I need to get a note from the doctor. There isn't really a way to test for this.
I have read that this can affect up to 25% of boys in their lifetimes and that they most often will outgrow them.
And I can't stop crying about it. I am so nervous about what these tics will mean for him socially. So very nervous for my baby. I can only hope for the best, and hope that people are kind. But I know and YOU know that kids and adults can be very cutting.
Ok. Enough with the drama. It will be fine. This will pass and I will look back and think "wow I really got worked up over nothing."
 |
| Lucas really wanted to do dishes!! And who am I to stand in the way of ambition? |
 |
| He did a really good job. He used soap and scrubbed and rinsed. I was so happy!!! |
 |
| Nick saw all the praise being heaped on Lucas and needed a piece of the action. |
 |
| Anyone want to come clean my kitchen counters off? |
 |
| Lucas needs lots of chapstick for his chapped lips. |
 |
| Apparently, Nick likes peanut butter. |
 |
| A Lot. |
 |
| Can't. Sit. Still. Must. Jump. |
 |
| Ready for swim lessons! |
I'm sorry that Lucas is having these issues. I think it might be lucky that he is going through this so young. Younger kids tend to be more open minded and once something is explained they can just go with it. Naomi had basketball class with a little girl who was born without her left hand, and after I explained why she was 'missing' a hand, Naomi didn't seem bothered by it and really enjoyed playing with her. I think you should definitely talk to his doctor about getting a note so he can go back to school.
ReplyDeleteI love the pictures of the boys! Naomi loves to wash dishes too. I'm glad that my counters aren't the only ones covered in stuff ;-)
Thank you Tina. That made me feel better.
ReplyDeleteI do think children these days are much more tolerant of other kids and 'differences' than kids were when we were in school. Maybe the schools are doing more to raise awareness - I don't really know. But, I have observed first-hand, from volunteering in the classrooms that kids just seem to kind of 'go with the flow' and include everyone these days. It's nice to see!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry, I can only imagine what you are going through watching your little boy have to go through this. I'm with Laura and Tina. Kids are extremely resilient, and both he and Nick will be better people for having had to experience this. They will both learn understanding and compassion, and hopefully can model that to others. As for adults being rude or cutting about it; an adult that acts like that doesn't need to be in your life anyway! Just stay strong, at the end of the day the only thing that matters is that Lucas knows that he is incredibly loved by mis family.
ReplyDeleteI just wanted you to know I'm thinking about you. Lucas is so very lucky to have you for a Mom. I have no doubt that he'll get through this because of the special Mom that you are. Family support and a Mommy's love have amazing powers! ((((hugs)))
ReplyDeleteYou ladies are so great. Thank you for making me feel so much better!
ReplyDeletei know it must be sad and scary and bad to watch. It would be for me too.
ReplyDeleteYou're right. It will probably be something that you look back on someday and see that it was no big deal after all.
hope you are feeling better