Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Explorations

I wish I could capture on camera how incredible this waterfall is.  It is about 2000 feet to the top of that mountain from where I stood and it looks like the waterfall starts at the top by the snow and falls all the way down.  It will stop flowing soon when the snow melts off.

Our temporary quarters (where we are living) is in the middle of the picture by the brown/green dot.  It is 15 miles away, straight down the glacial lake from where I took this picture.  I was on a one lane bridge driving into a darrrrrk forest.  See pics below.


I lightened the top photo up a little, but OH MY GOSH this is a rain forest for sure.  There are ferns and fungi and moss hanging in eery dangle-y ways from the trees.  It is a little creepy if you aren't accustomed to the forest.  I will get there. . . but I'm still adapting.

Awww.  My little bear bait.  Aren't they the cutest tenderloins ever???

AJ and Nick checkin' out the river.  It is sooo clear and beautiful. 


I'm totally bummed out that Brad Pitt wasn't upstream with his fly rod.  DAMN. (totally referencing A River Runs Through It, in case you didn't catch it)

Oh never mind.  I found something better than that to photograph.  Awwwwww.  Aren't I just wayy too cheesy?




We took a drive on the west side of the park today.  We drove for over an hour and only saw the teeny-ist fraction of the park.  We also took a hike near our house yesterday.  We walked about two miles with the kids and had a blast.  Along the way we found the site of a recent deer kill - likely by a cougar from the look of it.  I don't even think the folks here bat an eye at that stuff.  It must be so common. 

I really like it here.  Just in the one week we have been here the place is noticeably busier than last Sunday.  There are SO MANY more tourist license plates driving around.  And the campground has campers - last Monday no one was there.  We are trying to get out and do some of the popular things before they are uncomfortably crowded.  Unfortunately the Going to the Sun road is still not open, but with the HUGE amounts of snowfall they received last winter they will be lucky to get it open next month I'm guessing.

AJ is settling in, and is spinning in circles trying to learn everyone's name and get all the essential information committed to memory before the busy season hits - in about a week.  haha.  It is a lot to take in, and the hundreds of seasonal staff are starting to arrive.  Over 400 seasonals are set to arrive, is what I've been told.  Everyone here has been very nice and very kind.  I am looking forward to getting to know more people. 

1 comment:

KristinJ. Powered by Blogger.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers