Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Barnes and Noble Drama

Today we went to Barnes and Noble. I really like this store because they have a play area for Lucas, comfy chairs for me, reading material and hot Chai tea from the friendly Starbucks people. What more could you ask for really? It is paradise for the SAHM looking to get out of the house for a couple hours.

Except for today. Today I had a beautiful blue eyed angel who decided to drop to the floor minutes after entering the serenely quiet store and started S-C-R-E-A-M-I-N-G! I had Nick in a front carrier so I was a little slower than usual, but I bent down to pick up Lucas and he did a LOG ROLL AWAY FROM ME!!!!! WTF??? Then he jumped to his feet still screaming and ran around the kids area up and down the isles laughing at me as I was in hot pursuit.

Here is a summary of what was going through my mind:
Where in the hell did he learn to do this? What do I do? I haven't read about this in the books. What would other Mom's do? Crap every one is staring at me so I can't smack him. I guess I should grab him and make a fast getaway.

I was surprisingly calm despite my determination to catch the little bastard. Just as I grabbed his upper arm in an iron-I'm-gonna-kill-you grip he once again fell to the floor and whacked his head on a book shelf along the way. So he started screaming again but louder if that was even possible.

Again I was stone cold calm, which surprises me in hindsight but I picked him up and told him quietly between screams that he was going to the car. And I carried him on my hip, with Nick attached to the front of me to the car, strapped him in -still screaming at the top of his lungs, and drove away.

Everyone in the entire store heard this episode very clearly. I was mortified and couldn't get the hell out of there fast enough. When I got home he was still throwing a fit and I was at the breaking point so I told him that he was having some quiet time in his room while Mommy took a break. I placed him on his bed with some books and closed the door before I started to loose my temper. He fell asleep at 9:30 in the morning! Nap time isn't until 11:30-12:00.

What a mess. I have so much more sympathy for parents with screaming kids now. I used to be so intolerant. . .

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear of your bad time in the bookstore :(

    Maybe he's stressed from the move and it will all end soon.

    The running away reminds me SO MUCH of my dog Oscar. If you could have ever seen all the times I tried to catch him as he ran around the table from me, you would truly think I was crazy. But that was in the privacy of my own home. It would be much worse in public.

    ReplyDelete

KristinJ. Powered by Blogger.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers