Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Uncivilized

I stopped working to stay at home with the boys 2.5 years ago. When I worked alone in the field for so many years (like 12 years) it wasn't a big deal to let a little gas fly without looking around for people, because there were rarely people around me. I was generally alone outside somewhere. If I had a clogged nose then a "snot rocket" was an acceptable way to deal with the situation. When I was working with people they were "field people" who exhibited the same behaviors I did. Cussing was standard. Peeing outside second nature because there weren't bathrooms - ever. I never worried about my clothing as long as it was functioning to keep me dry, warm and shaded from the sun. I never worried about my footwear (steel toed boots and hiking boots) unless I was breaking in a new pair. My hair was always pulled back and usually under a bandanna or hat. Make-up? Forget about it. I cared about having enough sunblock, water, and food with me. I cared about getting injured far from a road. I cared about mountain lions, wild cattle and sudden lightning storms. I cared about accidentally stepping on rattlesnakes.

But then I had Nick. I got fat and out of shape, stayed home to be with my boys (a circumstance I love and value despite my frequent complaints), and moved. I joined a Moms group and started crafting. My conversations with my new Mommy friends are about normal, regular things like where to find a good sale on groceries, birth stories, boobs, kids, schools/preschools etc. I like having these conversations, I always learn a lot and better yet I'm getting to know the ladies in my neighborhood whose kids are in the same age range as my kids.

Here is the problem. I'm having trouble adjusting. I caught one mom watch me unconsciously pinching my nose with my index finger and thumb then wiping my fingers on my pants. I realized what I had done and how barbaric it must have looked to her and was embarrassed. I keep doing things like this though. I let a fart go at a gathering not long ago and as it was sliding out thought "OH CRAP!!! STOOOOPPPP" but it was too late. Fart released. No turning back. And yes I received a strange look for that episode as well. Not a snotty look. But a look of: "Did you just do what I think you did?"

Yes, yes I did. And I didn't even realize I was doing it until it was too late.

I'm not squatting to pee in the corner of the room. That's progress. I'll keep working on becoming more civilized.

Maybe someday I'll care about not wearing the same shoes everyday all day until they wear out, and I have no choice but to purchase a new pair. Maybe I'll even get fashionable, shoes!! Maybe someday I'll want to own more than one pair! I really hope to be more civilized one day.

P.S. It is a miracle I found a man to marry and stay married to me. AJ is pretty remarkable.

12 comments:

  1. um...I think I could have written this.
    you can be as uncivilized as you want. I will still be your friend:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have plenty of company on the uncivilized side of the divide!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with these other ladies. The first half of your blog is in my comfot zone. At this time I work in a place where there are no jeans whatsoever, no sneakers or tee shirts. I am pretending that I have the knowledge and ability to wear these other clothes but am not sure some days. Put me outside and I will join the crew in being uncivilized any day! I would have laughed at your fart, it's hard not to when kids let them rip when I am subbing at school :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Farts are just plain funny..period. And I think the next time you let one rip (I make it sound like it happens all the time) with your Moms' group you laugh and start talking about it. I bet you anything some (if not most) of the other moms would laugh too. We've all let one rip and then thought Oh God what did I just do. Reading this, explains why I feel so comfortable around you.

    It's a good thing you're raising boys :) (hee, hee)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty sure that if I'd owned up to the fart we all would have had a good laugh. I'm glad I'm not alone in the adjustment thing. Going from lots to peace and solitude for so long to chaos and screaming children running everywhere is challenging. Just the other day at a meeting it was so chaotic with the kids and the ladies trying to have a discussion that I got so nervous I just started laughing - like out of place inappropriate laughing. It was overwhelming to me. Thankfully the ladies are all so nice and accepting that I don't feel judged or out singled out. It is making the transition to the civilized world easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my god, I just woke up Rafael cause I was laughing so hard! I have honestly done this myself, in fact once I did it in someones face as I bent over to get the baby out of the carseat! Thankfully Michaela was standing right next to me so I pretended it was her! You are too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy M is right, farts are funny...even if I have to pretend to be civilized by dressing and acting that way. That's only at work, I come home and the potty mouth begins.

    ReplyDelete
  8. totally unrelated to your post, but on the subject of farts...what the hell is coming out of my little tiny baby's butt?? Caroline has some horrible horrible ones. It smells like an 800 pound man let one rip. Seriously. Gross.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ummmm YOU are feeding her. It is a derivative of your boob milk so. . .

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I freakin love you! you are so funny and like andrea said, thats why we have kids..to blame it on them! especially boys!
    sara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sooooo Funny! I let 'em rip all the time - It's a natural bodily function. We ALL do it and sometimes there's not enough time to run to the bathroom. I did the same snot wipe the other day and got a wierd look. Oh well, I'm a mom!! I'm allowed!! I'd totally scold Savannah for doing it though. Do as I say, Not as I do. :)
    Smooches, Amy M.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are hilarious Kristin! I totally do the snot thing too AND I blame gas on Naomi whenever she's close enough. We are all basically uncivilized!
    Also, I'm sure you don't really take notice of other peoples feet since you aren't a shoe person (I know I don't!), but I wear the same white sneakers every day unless they are so dirty that I've had to throw them in the wash, or I have to dress up for something and sneakers just really won't work.
    You aren't alone ;-)

    ReplyDelete

KristinJ. Powered by Blogger.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers