Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Friday, October 15, 2010

Baaad Peanut Butter

Nick took a big bite of peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  I was looking down at the table as I finished filling out paperwork for Lucas's school.  It wasn't a thick sandwich.  Just a normal kid sized sandwich.

I glanced up and saw him trying to breathe.  Again.

This shit keeps happening.  W. T. F???

No air getting through = no gagging sounds = Mom totally oblivious until I looked up and laid eyes on him.

He didn't know enough to try to get my attention.

I normally don't jump up for them gagging or choking because like I've said before, they normally get it out on their own.  I'm becoming pretty bullet proof with the gagging/choking thing. This time I moved fast because . . . well it was just obvious that I needed to act.

I held him balanced on an arm upside down over the garbage can  (this isn't the first time I've had to do this and I didn't want a mess) and whacked his back.  (How weird is it that I thought of a mess?  In my defense the garbage can was directly next to where he was sitting.)

The thing about peanut butter is that is sticky and didn't just pop loose. I think more than anything it was gravity and his attempts at gagging that cleared his airway. I was afraid that if I went in after it with a finger sweep it would just push it farther down. Finally it oozed out of his mouth slowly which is how I realized just how much he had jammed into his mouth. 

Why in the hell would he take such a huge bite?  He's two, that's why.  He still doesn't know any better and, even though I think some things should be intuitive, for a two year old they aren't.  Hell, even Lucas still puts too much in his mouth and gags. 

Lesson learned:  Look at them frequently even if I'm sitting at the same table.   

4 comments:

  1. scary. and a good lesson. glad all is well.
    when the hell DO they take normal sized bites??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah. Z still hasn't got the concept of a "bite." Whatever size it is when I hand it to her, in it all goes. Good job staying calm. The mind works in funny ways under pressure, no? I refer to holding him over the trash can. Might as well, if it occurs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phew.....makes you want to just put everything in a blender until they graduate, doesn't it? Scary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, that's never happened to me, and I've never watched the kids while they're eating pb&js. I will now, though. Poor baby. Does he have marks on his back?

    ReplyDelete

KristinJ. Powered by Blogger.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers