Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Feeding the wildlife

Today we decided to get crafty and we made the ever-popular pine cone bird feeders. Here is a picture of Lucas who was REALLY excited about playing with birdseed.


We took our pine cones, and tied strings on them. Then we coated them with extra chunky peanut butter and rolled them in birdseed. We couldn't find small containers of wild birdseed so we purchased some parakeet food at Walgreens. I figure it's good enough.


Very messy as you can see. I ended up doing most of the work involving peanut butter and Lucas rolled the pine cones in the birdseed. If you ask Lucas he did all the work though. At least that is what he told his father.



The finished product.


We hung them all over the yard. Lucas told me where to hang them.



Now I am sitting here while the kids sleep trying to get a picture of one of the juncos eating off the pine cones. That way Lucas will have something to see when he wakes up. Getting a toddler to see a bird is difficult so I figured a picture is easier to show him. Wish me luck.

Update:

These guys were watching me try to get pictures. Jerks. They kept making laughing noises at me as I laid on my belly in the yard.


YEAHH!! I have never tried to photograph small twitchy birds before and have discovered that they are as hard to capture in a photograph as I imagined they would be.


2 comments:

  1. Seriously, your bird love is ridiculous. Don't force it on your kids, too.





    (also, the Word Verification word for this comment is Mint ab. Weird.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too late. We have made bird feeders from pine cones. There is no turning back now.

    ReplyDelete

KristinJ. Powered by Blogger.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers