All I can say is: WHAT THE FUCK?? I don't even care that I dropped the F-bomb. What the fuck?
Last night after several days of Nick getting progressively more and more sick his fever went to 105.5. So we doped him up on Tylenol and I took him to the pediatric emergency department at the university. We had held off on taking him in because the Nurse Advice line had told us that anything under 104 was no big deal. I now believe they are full of shit.
There I sat in the peds emergency department for 5 or 6 hours (but who is counting) waiting to be seen by a doctor. I later found out that they had one of the busiest nights for pediatric trauma for the last several years. Great. And this was the night I happened to be there. So I sat there safely locked into the peds department watching through the glass as a man collapsed in the waiting area for the adults. Then I watched as a drunk woman tried to attack a desk clerk because no one would discharge her because SHE WAS DRUNK. (In case you are dying to know: her boyfriend called the "pigs" on her and she didn't do anything to deserve this. Next time she is calling the cops on him so he knows what it feels like to be incarcerated at the hospital with no food. At least in jail they gave her food.) Thankfully they have security guards everywhere - especially on a Saturday night. The little boy next to me started throwing up everywhere. And every time a sick baby would wake up screaming it would wake up all the other babies whose mommies and daddies had just managed to get them to fall asleep and the whole room would erupt into crying, pacing, bouncing, shushing and vomiting. 5 hours. Maybe 6. Again. I can't remember. Too tired.
I do remember MY little boy limp, red faced from the fever, and totally uninterested in the activity of the room which is so unlike him. I also remember watching a family come rushing into the waiting area frantic to find out what had happened to their child who had arrived by ambulance. Something involving brain trauma and open wounds and lots of x-rays. I was really happy that I was just there for an unexplained fever. And it is funny to say but I was happy that I was one of the ones who HAD to wait. Because as you know, if they rush you in. . . that is sooooo not good.
At 1:00am we finally got to see the doctor who was very nice, very professional and apologetic for our long wait. She said they had seven major pediatric traumas which is highly unusual. She evaluated Nick whose fever had come back because the Tylenol had worn off. She said that we could run a couple of tests. One of those tests was a urine test administered via catheter. You know what comes next? Positive. The damned test was positive for a urinary tract infection.
The doctor said the exact same thing I heard when Lucas had a UTI. "Urinary tract infections in little boys are really unusual." Unusual. That is apparently the word used for boys with UTI's. Have AJ and I genetically doomed our children to abnormalities favoring UTI's? WHAT IS THE STORY??
We have our long awaited appointment for Nick with the Pediatric Urologist the end of march. I guess we will also be discussing this UTI.
Now that I'm thinking back I think this has going on all month and actually nearly 2 months. And in true Mommy fashion I feel guilty for not doing/seeing something earlier. I mean you would think that if I went through this already with Lucas that I would see all the signs . . . but I just wasn't looking. I assumed that the odds of having TWO kids with UTI problems is so far fetched that I didn't even consider it. And I feel terrible.
4 days ago





Oh man, that whole thing sucks. Although I have to say "the whole room would erupt into crying, pacing, bouncing, shushing and vomiting" was a genius sentence :) Once again, I think you can be glad that you are in an urban area where you can get decent medical care. Hopefully you'll get some answers when you have your next appointment. Don't beat yourself up about not suspecting something earlier - if you considered everything that could possibly go wrong you would cause yourself to go insane!
ReplyDeleteNo wonder there are so many books written on mommy guilt...seems there are endless ways for it occur. The books all say "Let it go." Sounds like good advice. Remind me of that someday when I need it, will ya? Hope you and Nick feel better soon.
ReplyDeletehindsight is twenty twenty, but if you ran to the doctor for every little thing that MIGHT be something you'd go crazy. So don't feel bad, you got it taken care of!
ReplyDeleteI was remembering my time in the Albuquerque ER when we were on vacation and I had the ovarian cyst. We got there pretty early in the morning and I didn't have to wait very long, but when we came out, what a different scene in the waiting room. It was PACKED, complete with an old lady in a wheel chair holding a bucket. Also a crazy lady yelling at the admitting nurses about her meds or something.... But you are right, 'tis better to wait then be rushed in.
Kristin, you really should utilize your knowledge of emergency medicine to get in faster. All you have to mention is "difficulty breathing," and you never have to wait at the ER again! It gets you out of jail, too. And then when you get back there, you just say you must have been mistaken. Then you focus on the real problem. For the folks at the jail, it's usually to get benzodiazapene. But you know, UTI's work, too.
ReplyDeleteSorry your kiddos's bladders are crazy. At least you weren't in Carlsbad where Nick would stand a good chance of being treated for croup or something completely non-related.
And remember, "difficulty breathing." As a life long asthmatic, I always got rushed right in!
Difficulty breathing. Got it.
ReplyDeleteYeah. That ER is crazy. They see some seriously crazy stuff - daily. I guess a guy died in the drunk tank at the jail so now all the drunks are taken to the hospital. Poor hospital.
Nick is still sick. I am going to take him to the Dr. tomorrow if he hasn't improved. Distraction seems to be helping the little guy so we went to the zoo today and got to pet a porcupine. They are really oily and gross. Who knew?
another interesting porcupine fact:
ReplyDeletethe male stands on his hind legs and urinates on the female to show he is "interested"
I once did an evening program on the porcupine, the second largest rodent in the US. (behind the beaver)
I hope Nick is feeling better soon.
Wow. I'm really glad I am not a porcupine lady.
ReplyDelete