Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Friday, February 18, 2011

31 Kids 8 Homes

Tonight I took the boys out front to ride their bikes in the court before it got too dark.  I was standing in a neighbor's driveway visiting with him while we watched our own kids and some other neighbor kids ride their bikes and play.  I like my neighbors, for the most part.  I initially had some concerns about one family, but I have since come to know them better and things are easier.  We all will take turns supervising the kids in the court (or in our backyards) while they play with each other, which is nice.  We all look out for each other's kids and we all are comfortable correcting any negative behavior that we see.   

The kids I referred to in a recent post who were peer pressuring Lucas are at the back of our property and don't live in our court - and I don't have much interaction with them or with their parents. 

Tonight as I stood there visiting with my neighbor (who's wife just had her third child on Monday, a baby girl!) a moving van rolls up into the court followed by three full pickup trucks of furniture.  Cesar (neighbor) and I moved all 7 of the kids on bikes (three of them from other homes) out of the way and onto the sidewalks while everyone parked. 

These were our new neighbors.  Cesar and I watched in disbelief as six - yes six young faces, one by one leaped out of the SUV and immediately joined the existing kids to play while their parents unloaded furniture.  We were now supervising 13 kiddos - and I didn't mind at all - but wow.  SIX.  They are moving into a floor plan that is identical to my floor plan.  I can't imagine. 

So to sum up: 8 homes and 31 kids.  Really we should only count 27 kids because 4 of the kids (in the same house) are older teenagers who don't "play".  So that would be 27 kids in 7 houses aged 11 and younger.  Only 2 kids are 11.  The rest are in the first three years of elementary school or are too young for school. This will be 6 more bicycles.  6 more versions of hide and seek.  27 scooters, names, personalities, and 25 hopeful faces knocking on my door asking me to support their school fundraiser. 

Three nights in a row now I've had adorable little people knocking on my front door asking if my kids can come play.  It is so sweet.  But. . . . . six more of them????

I think that if we get a tax return this year we will put it into raising the cinder block wall between us and the hoards of neighbor kids.  Because as much as I like kids and enjoy supervising them playing with each other - I'm going to need a private backyard where I can hide from them all too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

KristinJ. Powered by Blogger.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers