On Friday (yesterday) we suddenly decided at 2pm that we were going to go to Carlsbad Caverns, one last time before we headed north in 2 weeks. By 4pm we were packed, the dog was at the dog resort and we were in the car and driving. Whew.
And now we are home. We got home at 8pm today (Saturday). It was a fast trip but a great trip.
 |
| We got there bright and early, knowing that it would get very crowded on Easter weekend. Being tourists, we had to pose for the super cheesy picture that most of my friends will laugh at. |
 |
| We had forgotten that is was a free weekend for the National Parks!! Whoo Hoo we got in free! |
 |
| Nick decided that he was scared of all the dark and big spaces. |
 |
| Lucas was VERY excited to be underground in a real CAVE and everything!!! Just like in the Scooby cartoons!!! |
 |
| We noticed that all the pools in the cave were very full! The park staff must have finally decided to refill them. Ha!! |
 |
| And the staff must have hosed off some of the formations, and got them all sparkly white and shiny wet. I wish they'd do that with all of the formations. (Most of you know I'm joking) |
 |
| Unfortunately the new layout of the trails near the natural entrance didn't allow us to get to the Natural Entrance without sitting through ANOTHER orientation after standing in a long line. I don't care for the new design down there. But the boys loved the big hole in the ground, once we got close enough to see it! |
 |
| We lunched at Rattlesnake Springs. Beautiful and peaceful as always. |
 |
| Nick played by a tree |
 |
| I got a very fuzzy photo of a dragonfly. |
 |
| Here's an even worse photo of a Vermilion Flycatcher . He's in the center of the pic on a dangling little branch. Good luck seeing him. |
 |
| Speaking of flashy dudes (this one is much less attractive though), this guy was in the Walmart parking lot. SHOCKING, I know. Here he is after he had to drop/jump out of his vehicle. |
 |
| Here he is again with his kids. To get this photo, I was hiding behind a post at the gas station while I stuck my camera around the side. I didn't want to be obvious!! How does he get back in?? How does he reach the handle to open the door?? I'm going to guess that he might be over compensating for something. . . . . .and judging by the size of his over compensation it must be a significant problem that he is trying to cover up. . . . . just sayin'. [AJ said that he's surprised the guy could reproduce based upon the size of his over compensation. HAHA! I love AJ!] |
 |
| It was hot. We met some good friends for ice cream. So good to visit!! |
 |
| Nick was gnawing on turkey jerky a lot. Shortly after we got home he had a turkey jerky poop which made me decide to never EVER give him turkey jerky again. Even my husband with a cast iron stomach had to leave the room. It was highly unpleasant. TMI - but consider it a warning. |
|
|
Speaking of TMI. I encountered a cashier in a store who took a step back from the register to burp. He then stepped back and in detail explained to me that he'd just had nachos with salsa and jalapenos. He went on to tell me that he had to step away to burp, but that the nachos were worth it. I think he wanted me to comment . . . I did not. I just looked at him.
I then encountered another person at another register at another store who was barely willing to tell me my total amount owed. When she did speak to me it was with a great deal of effort, no smile, and no greeting. She was really unhappy that she had to take my money. I was suddenly reminded that when I moved to Albuquerque 2.5 years ago we were so shocked by how friendly people were. We were just amazed that waiters and waitresses and clerks and cashiers were all greeting us with smiles, and being . . . pleasant. I had forgotten.
Those were the only down sides to our trip. We had a GREAT time, although it was too short. The park is beautiful as always. I really miss that park. But I don't miss that town.
Big waves of nostalgia for Rattlesnake Springs now washing over me.
ReplyDeleteAwww. Yeah I had some serious nostalgia for certain things too. When the kids are older we will come back and enjoy the quiet backcountry where the tourists aren't herded in mass from one spot to another. What got me was the house at Rattlesnake Springs. It looked lonely.
ReplyDeleteYay for the CAVE! Seeing you and your family there made me smile and reminds me just how much things have changed in our lives!
ReplyDelete