Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Friday, January 8, 2010

Cooking Confidence

Yesterday the smoke alarm went off because I forgot that I was cooking grilled cheese sandwiches for the kids. I walked away and forgot. The other day I left the stove on . . . all night. The flame went out because the stove was on low and so the entire house filled with gas overnight. It was scary and horribly dangerous. It took several hours of open windows, open doors and fans running to air the house out - and it was 28 degrees outside.

Today I decided to attempt to rebuild my confidence in the kitchen by baking a very easy pie. I got the recipe from weight watchers and it had a picture so I couldn't go wrong. Plus the kids needed something to do or else I was going to kill them. Baking it was. The picture below looks super good huh? Not too hard. Fruit pies are easy, I've made a ton of them.



Not so appealing huh? And it looks NOTHING like the picture said it would. I think I went wrong when I substituted apricots for peaches. I had frozen apricots from this last summer that I had frozen with the intent of making jam. So I had cut them fairly small. That is where I went wrong I think. They were too small.



Mmmm. What the hell Kristin? What. The. Hell. So much for confidence rebuilding.



I also wanted to cook the turkey breast I had in the fridge before it went bad. But suddenly I realized that the meal I had planned was in jeopardy because of the FUGLY pie in the oven. So I remember this episode of KENDRA (from girls next door - you know it's bad when I get cooking advice from a ditzy playboy model) where she stuck the thanksgiving turkey in the crockpot. Genius. So in it went. It wasn't too bad but I prefer the oven method better.

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. I would totally eat that pie. A pie is a pie not matter how you slice it (ha,ha).

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did it taste? Looks aren't everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea the pie was really terrible tasting. It was so bitter - because apricots are more tangy than peaches. I added extra sugar to try to compensate for that but it wasn't enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I set off the smoke alarm often. I love to cook and don't even have kids. You're doing great and with all this experience they will be the ones cooking for you all the time in coming years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. three things:
    1) didn't your safety officer husband install a carbon monoxide detector in your house?

    2) things NEVER look like the picture. so don't beat yourself up about it

    3) and you are doing fine until you start taking parenting advice from Kendra. Then you will be in trouble. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew I had sunk to a new low when I took advice from Kendra. . . It is shameful.

    We have CO2 monitors but they only detect CO2, not gas. CO2 is a product of incomplete combustion of fossil fuels.

    ReplyDelete

KristinJ. Powered by Blogger.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers