Several weeks ago I heard four of five ladies I know talking about eye makeup. They were saying how they like to make their eyes smokey. I was totally confused, as my eye makeup knowledge is limited to occasional mascara. It was really interesting to me because I had no idea that all these ladies knew so much about makeup and its application. It should have been obvious, because their eyes look amazing, but I had never paid attention.
So I started to do some research. I read about all the endless types of eye makeup. Then once I was confused by enough types I decided to further confuse myself by reading about the application process - and what order the application is to occur. And blending, and layering, and brushes, and brand names, with color choices and eyeliners with more blending. . . . . holy shit.
And ladies. I know most of my readers are just as confused by this stuff as I am, so let me tell you this. There is primer. YES PRIMER. For your eyelids. Just like a latex paint primer. You must prime your eyelids before putting eyeshadow on or else your eyeshadow clumps up in the crease of your eye lid.
I. KNOW. RIGHT? Who knew?
So I decided to break out of my comfort zone and experiment with the girly side of life. It might be fun. With my head spinning and confused I set out for my local Target store to try to locate and purchase some of these materials. If they can do it, maybe I can do it too.
I walked up and down the isles carefully reading each item that looked like it might go onto an eye. Most of them were really confusing. They didn't have any directions on any of the items to indicate how or when (in the layering process) to apply. The assumption is that you already know. I finally found one brand that had 4 different eye shadows, a primer, and a "highlighter?" plus on the back it told me step by step which order to layer. PERFECT. I also bought yellow stuff to hide the dark circles under my eyes - which I don't think I have but I assume I do, since everything I read said that a woman my "age" has them. I bought green goop to hide blemishes. I then bought brushes because I gather brushes are needed. . . but I'm not entirely sure why.
I went home after dedicating an hour and a half shopping, with the bronzers, the lip glop, the eyeliner, foundation, powder, mascara, eyelash curler. . . . my GOD the list is incredible.
The application process was a bit intimidating. I was in the bathroom for 47 minutes by AJ's clock. He came to check on my well being several times. He also repeatedly heard me nervously knocking all sorts of stuff off the counter as I tried to "blend" correctly. And how far up do you take the eyeshadow? The brow bone seems so high up. And my eyebrows are so "overgrown" according to the research. I couldn't begin to shape an eyebrow. . .
In the end it was a good experiment. I don't know if I'm cut out to prime my eyelids though.
6 days ago





Where are the pictures!?! That sounds like a whole lot of shtuff. I collect Mary Kay color cards & eyeshadows - they are perfect because they tell you exactly which color to apply exactly where. I only use eye shadow when I go out, and other than that I don't care too much. Philip likes the way I look even without makeup, so it seems a waste to spend so much time every day caring about it. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you looked gorgeous, but who has the time?? And natural is gorgeous, too!
ReplyDeleteI forgot to take pictures. I was so focused on the job at hand, and trying to remember what I'd read, that I forgot the pictures.
ReplyDeleteI just don't have the necessary patience and attention span to do that very often.
I could have written this about a year ago....word for word. I love it!
ReplyDeleteThey have primer for eyelids?? No thanks, I'll take wall primer over that. The last time I wore makeup was at my sister's wedding... and the time before that, my wedding. If it comes down to sleep vs. makeup, sleep always wins.
ReplyDelete