I looked into this whole idea of de-meowing the girls. Apparently it is not commonly done to cats. Dogs are the ones who are typically debarked and it is a rather controversial procedure. Some people think it is cruel and unnecessary and others feel that it is sometimes necessary to keep an animal in its home and free from abuse. Pre-kids I would have considered this cruel and unnecessary. Now that the cats have taken a backseat to the kids my views on this subject have changed. I guess it is harsh but it is better than me throwing shoes across the room at them when they decide to start yowling 5 minutes after the kids have FINALLY fallen asleep. Poor kitties shouldn't live in fear of a flying shoe and I shouldn't live with unnecessary noise. I have enough noise around as it is. They need to be quiet and stick to eating sleeping and being the good sweet kitties that I know they can be.
At the next vet visit I am going to push for this little procedure.
And on a totally different topic. . . I have a huge GINORMOUS box of clothes that we need to get rid of. Plus I am getting ready to offload a bunch of toys in the next 6 months and I can't find anyone to take any of it.
4 days ago





I totally thought that you made up "de-meowing"! But I guess its a real thing. I always take people's free stuff, even if I don't really need it, because I'm so cheap and love free stuff. I would take your baby clothes even, but I'm sort of superstitious about the whole counting the chickens before they hatch thing.
ReplyDeleteI looked it up. Not only is de-meowing universally considered cruel, I could not find a single veterinarian website that claimed to perform the procedure. So...good luck finding anyone who will do it. What I did find was a lot of information about dealing with cat behavioral problems, including vocalizing. Try that. If still no luck, think about finding someone to adopt them. It's better than cruelty.
ReplyDeleteOMG! Don't de-meow that cats!
ReplyDeleteSell the crap as "lots" on ebay. That's what Kristen does, and she used to buy a lot of lots off ebay, too, since kids can only wear clothes for a week before they outgrow them.
Don't de-meow the cats.