Today on the way to the zoo little Nick screamed the whole 20 minutes it took to get there. By the time we pulled into the parking lot he was really upset about something. I had been trying to reach around his enormous convertible car seat to feel for the problem but had not had success. When I jumped out to get him out of the seat I saw the problem. His hat had fallen down over his eyes and he was really scared. Had I left his hat on? I guess I had. So he was a very upset baby the whole time we were at the zoo and even now, hours later he is still having a rough day. I feel terrible.
So in frustration I began to wonder if I can turn his car seat around early. He is just a few ounces shy of 20 lbs which is the weight you can turn a kid around at. They are also supposed to be a full year old. . . but maybe I should just do it anyway so that I can better attend to him in the car.
So I looked into why exactly the rear-facing rule exists. The first site I read ended all speculation about turning him around early. So I looked to a second, more reputable site trying desperately to find the exception for my kid. . . and it pretty much had the same scary information. Here is a summary: Turn your kid around early and you could be responsible for your beautiful baby's broken neck if you are involved in an accident.
OK.
So we don't want that. This whole car seat thing just sucks. Whatever happened to the good 'ol days when babies could be held, breastfed and cuddled as you blasted down the road at 70 mph? When the thought of your baby becoming a projectile in an accident was the farthest thing from your mind? Long road trip? NO PROBLEM. Those were the days. I guess. I was too young to remember. But they sure sound good now.
Something that doesn't sound good. . . the noises coming from Nick's diaper. So I better go for now.
6 days ago





I do not have your problem. Sara is 14 months now and MAYBE 18 pounds.
ReplyDeleteI wish she would hurry up and break that damn 20 pound barrier already!