Today Nick dropped a toy in my bathroom and it rolled across the bathroom into the closet. As I watched it roll into the closet I remembered a time when AJ and I were newly married and it was impossible for anything to roll across our bathroom floor. This was because the bathroom was so tiny that if you were standing in it there wasn't any floor space left for something to roll. And if we arrived home and we both had to go to the bathroom we fought (no joke full on-argued) over who went first because there was only one bathroom in our home. And who ever lost the argument stood around doing the pee pee dance until the toilet was all clear for use again. To this day, I still count my blessings that we have two WHOLE bathrooms. And they are big enough for something to roll across the floor. I know. This is the big time folks.
And it gets better. We have an INDOOR laundry room. I don't have to walk out into the rain or snow to do laundry out behind the garage anymore. No-sir-eee-bob. I have a laundry room that I can close the door to and EVERYTHING!! I remember at one house I went out to do laundry early in the morning (it was still dark). As I walked across the cement I kicked something - and because I wasn't wearing shoes I knew that what I had kicked was hairy and moving and warm. Cue the SCREAMING!!!!! HOLY F-ing SHIT WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT??????? In the dark when you look down to try to identify the small fuzzy mammal you just bumped into (SHIT. It's NOT. RUNNING. AWAY. !!! !!! OH MY GOD WHY ISN'T IT RUNNING AWAY??? RABIES!!!) it looked VERY similar to a rat. Seriously, it was a true pee your pants moment. It turned out to be someone's lost ferret that had decided to live in our laundry room, which was essentially a lean-to on the house. You can see why I am so excited about the indoor laundry now huh?
A year and a half ago I had to do dishes by hand. For two kids and two adults. Yup. Our kitchen was so small in our 900 square foot home that there simply was not room for a dishwasher. But now . . . now I have a technological miracle. A dishwasher. *enter singing angels*
All of our outlets are grounded outlets. Breakers don't trip when I run multiple appliances in the kitchen. There is refrigerated air here too. I have a pantry for my food. When it is windy outside I don't feel the breeze in the house. All of my windows open and close. I don't have 9 inch centipedes that chase me from room to room of my home, finally cornering me on top of the kitchen counter top. (Yeah. That was super fun.) Another true pee my pants moment. Oh and bonus: my neighbors wear pants. Whoo HOOO!
I know it sounds like I lived some white-trash life but I didn't. I lived a poor-just-out-of-college life and then a poor must-live-on-govn't-property life. But now that we finally have these things I really appreciate them.
6 days ago





I can only assume the pantless neighbor was in Carlsbad.
ReplyDeleteI would have a VERY big problem with finding a centipede in my house. I can not begin to tell you how much I hate those things, they creep me out worse than any other being.
Affirmative.
ReplyDeleteCarlsbad.
Nuf' said.